LF Energy – the open source foundation focused on the power systems sector and provides a neutral, collaborative community to build the shared digital investments that will transform the world’s relationship to energy is announcing FledgePOWER as its latest Incubation Project.
FledgePOWER is a multi-protocol translation gateway for power systems based on the industrial IoT LF Edge project Fledge. The project was released and open sourced by Dianomic and OSIsoft.
As power systems transform to include increasing onboarding of renewables, electric vehicles, assets at the edge, or behind the meter, network operators must be able to monitor and interact with substation equipment where a high-volume of data is exchanged with a high-velocity of change. These exchanges require real-time, efficient, robust, and secure communications. FledgePOWER solves the problem of multiple protocols by providing the industry with a flexible, lightweight, industrial-grade, open source gateway that embeds Fledge (LF EDGE).
Among other features, the FledgePOWER roadmap includes two awaited features by the community.
- The capacity of controlling end devices by enhancing north and south services.
- IEC 61850 MMS south and north plugins to allow IEDs control and acquire monitoring data from substations to expose them to central or cloud systems.
Akli Rahmoun, the founder of FledgePOWER, said: “We are very committed to make FledgePOWER a piece of software widely needed in the energy sector to operate power systems, an essential tool in our industry.”
LF Energy supports projects via a wide range of services, and the first step is joining as an Incubation Project. LF Energy will support the neutral open governance for FledgePOWER to help foster the growth of the project. Learn more about FledgePOWER on their GitHub and be sure to join the FledgePower General mailing list and FledgePower TSC mailing list to join the community and stay connected on the latest updates.
Welcome, FledgePOWER! We look forward to the project’s continued growth and success as part of LF Energy. To learn about how to host an open source project with us, visit the LF Energy website.
FledgePOWER Key Links
- Mail Lists:
LF Energy Resources
- Learn about membership opportunities
- Explore the interactive landscape
- Check out our technical projects
- Join us at upcoming events
- Read the latest announcements on the blog
- Subscribe to the mailing lists
- Follow us on Twitter or LinkedIn
- Access other resources on LF Energy’s GitHub or Wiki